Jude is twenty-nine, born in Rhode Island and now living in Sacramento. He has a fraternal twin brother named Jason. Jude and his brother are both aural captivators, colloquially referred to as ‘Sirens.’ A Siren can make a person do anything they want by commanding them with their voice. Aural captivators are rare and little research has been done on their abilities. Despite the connection to the female mythological creatures, aural captivation can present in both sexes. It’s said there is a special ability powerful aural captivators possess called a ’Siren Song,’ which is the ability to harm, or even kill, a person with their voice.
Jude would like to point out that last bit is a load of bullshit.
Although the world knows fully about people with supernatural powers and the ‘science of the paranormal’ is all the rage, Jude wants nothing to do with any of it. He just wants a normal, calm, uneventful life. Or at least, as uneventful a life as an aural captivator can have. Jude is a tattoo artist, proud of his artistic talents and has inked himself up thoroughly. He can come across as aloof, sarcastic, and scathing, but if this bothers you, he suggests you have a drink and pull your panties out of your crack. He’s gay, so please, no kisses girls. While he’s out of the closet, he doesn’t shove his sexual orientation in everyone’s face, just like his power. He also smokes like a chimney, has all kinds of weird food allergies, knows everything about wine, and freakin’ despises ghosts.
Because God hates him, Jude is inevitably thrown into a dangerous situation and has to get involved in the supernatural politics he avoids, in order to save his brother from unethical experimentation and death. Even worse, he has to do this in a city full of civil unrest and among people who live their lives fighting on one side or the other of the supernatural debate.
He’s not in a good mood about this.
- When Jude was a child, people didn’t know as much as they would later about supernatural powers, so no one realized what was happening with him and his brother. Jude and Jason’s inadvertent use of their powers led to the break-up of their parents, as their father was afraid of them and their influence made their parents think they were going crazy. When they divorced their mother took Jude and Jason to California. Jude is a bit of a Momma’s boy, but if you bring it up he’ll punch you.
- In California, Jude rebelled like a proper teenager, acquired a fake ID, and started apprenticing in a tattoo shop. This is where he met Diego Reynolds, the first love of his life. They didn’t work out, but later became best friends and opened a tattoo shop together.
- While inking a girl from a Sacramento entertainment paper, Jude lets slip that he’s an aural captivator. The girl writes an article about him that catches the attention of the Institute of Supernatural Research in Chicago. The Institute bribes Jude and Jason with cold hard cash and Jude agrees to go only because he wants to pay off Mommy’s house. Jason hates the idea because he doesn’t like to use his powers, and also because he’s an actor and fears revealing his power will hurt his career if people think he might be charming his way into roles. Still, they go.
- When things go awry in Chicago as they were inevitably wont to do, and Jason is taken hostage by the Institute, Jude has to enlist the help of people way more involved in the supernatural community than he is. He also has to face his hang-ups and fears, including that damn ghost thing. He becomes a reluctant hero and gets involved in the war going on between supernatural people and the Institute—basically, goodbye uneventful life.
- And of course, there’s Micha Bellevue and Sam Haain. They’re both trying to help Jude and undermine each other. We won’t get into that here, but let’s just say they’re both trying to get into Jude.
Jude is very powerful. He doesn’t realize this because he hardly ever uses his power, and also, he doesn’t care. Powerful supernatural people suffer various effects on their eyes: in some, the color of the irises is enhanced to the point of iridescence, in some the irises are washed out, and there are also other, debilitating effects, like cataracts and blindness. Jude has extremely vivid green eyes.
Basically, he’s screwed.